Thursday, June 16, 2011

My mom was diagnosed with cancer during High School, will college consider how this affected my grades?


Hello all, my mom recently finished her chemo therapy and had a tumor removed from her colon after being diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer about 4 months ago. The ordeal is slowly going to get better and will stop affecting everyday life soon but my grades from sub-par to awful FAST. I had a 3.2 weighted GPA going into Junior year, which isn't ever that great to begin with. But the thing is I'm really intelligent! I take pretty high level classes, Honors, one AP last year. Granted I used to super lazy, but I'm willing to step now and work, but I feel it's to late. :( So, if anyone knows how colleges consider events like these in an applicants life, please give me some advice! As far as my other criteria, I've been in 3 plays. Student of the term. I'm rigorously involved in my school television program, where I received student of the term. I will get plenty of good recommendations from several teachers, including my mentor. Not to bashful, but I do have a good personality and social skills. I will be getting a job this summer, unclear as to where. I received "Advanced" on my MCAS which is Massachusetts equivalent to a required assessment test, on every single one. I plan on taking the SAT's twice, and will most likely receive in at least the top 60 percentile for each part, top 85 and above on math. Now, those are my strong points, but that's just to give you all an of what I'm dealing with. I believe State school will be very possible for me, but my dream school is Emerson in Boston. Please somebody give me some optimism. Thanks in advance.
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Your circumstances will be noted but don't use it as an excuse. You have to know how to play on words effectively to convince people. They may let you through though. So good luck