Sunday, April 24, 2011

really thinking about boston?


I'm thinking seriously about moving to Boston within the upcoming year. I'm only 18 right now, but as soon as I finish my AA degree out here in California, I want to either attend boston University, Boston Baptist University, or the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology. I plan on becoming a psychiatrist and also getting a degree in biblical counseling while writing novels on the side. Is boston the place for me?? I was thinking of Allston specifically.
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I grew up in Boston and went to Boston College. During college, I lived in Brighton, which is right next to Allston. Allston/Brighton is not the nicest part of Boston, but a lot of students live in the area as it is less expensive and still has good access to the above ground rail (The "T"). I'm not sure where 2 of your schools are located (Parts of BU are walking distance to Allston), but I would make sure they are somewhat close to Allston. If they are in downtown Boston, you can expect an hour long ride on the T to get to school. Boston is a great college city- the large number of schools make it a fantastic place to meet other young students. There are plenty of clubs, bars, and restaurants that cater to this group. Transportation in Boston is pretty good as well and you can get through your school without a car if you desire. I am living in London now, but am trying to move back to Boston because I miss it. Good luck.
2 :
Boston is a great college town. THere are 10,000s of students there and lots of clubs and every kind of thing to do that college kids like. Boston University is a highly respected school - it is fairly large, though. Most of the schools around Boston are rather small. Speaking of which, I have been around Boston all my life and I never even heard of the the other schools you mentioned. Are these real schools or some kind of internet scam? Be sure you check them out carefully before you send in any money. Like, there is no school where you can become a psychiatrist without getting a medical degree first. ps If you are a serious Christian, especially Baptist, you should really be thinking about whether Boston is the right place for you. It is a very liberal community with a prominent Gay community and, I would say, a fairly weak and 'dissed' Christian community which in any case is mainly Roman Catholic. Do some serious homework before you travel across the country.