Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Do I need the "required courses" if I'm going to an architecture school?


I'm a 17 year old senior in a small town in Massachusetts. I was thinking about going to community college for the first two years of college, and then transferring over to an architectural school, preferably the Boston Architectural College. I've heard from my parents about how the first two years of college are just the basic required courses, and THEN you take the courses you want to take for your chosen career... But I went to the BAC website, and it doesn't say anything about those courses. So I was wondering, if you go to a school that's based on that career of your choice, do you still need to take those "required" Math and English and History courses? In other words, would you still be able to get your degree? College is so confusing and nobody wants to help..
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I'm from Canada, and I attend the University of Waterloo's School of Architecture. Most likely it's different from the US, but here, in order to apply to the Architecture program we need to take Calculus, Advanced functions, Physics and English as prerequisites. However, the prerequisites differ from school to school. For instance, in order to apply to McGill University, you'd add Chemistry to that list as well. On top of the courses, there was also an admissions portfolio review interview and a English precis test. The admissions process to any architecture school, no matter where it is, is very competitive, so you have to be on top of your game! Sorry if this didn't help, I don't really know much about US programs