Saturday, May 14, 2011

Is it possible to go to school in Massachusetts and live in New York?


Here's the thing I am almost done with my Liberal Arts degree. I want to transfer to a school in NYC but if I am not a resident in NYC I will have to pay out of state tuition which is a lot. I do not want to move to New York and stay out of school for a whole year. So, I was thinking I could move to New York but use my relatives' address in MA and attend school in MA and take some courses for the semester. I would do this for a bout a year until I establish residency in New York of which I could then attend school out there. I already live in MA and have been living here for almost 24 years. I am ready to move out. I figure I can catch some sort of train to take me from New York to Boston everyday. I can't think of any other way.
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Once you are 24 you might be able to do it. Until that age your residence is where your parents live except under certain exceptions. Once you are 24 you can establish your own residency by getting an apartment and a drivers license from that state. It would be helpful if you made a little money in NYso you could file NY taxes. However, if the new school noticed that you attended a MA school as a resident which might ruin the whole scheme.
2 :
It depends on where you live in New York and where you live in MA. For example, UMASS Amhert, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, Smith, and Willliams are closer to New York then BU, BC, etc. However, it would be a pain to commute if you didn't live somewhere closer to the border. You also need to factor how long it takes to take the train to and from school. If you're looking at Boston, it's not really realistic. I have been on an Amtrak train from just outside Boston to NYC and it took about 4 hours because it needs to stop at different stations. I think you are better off moving after you finish your degree.