Monday, January 17, 2011

How to change your name in Boston, Massachusetts?


when I turn 18 I want to change my first and middle name preferably during my senior year of high school before I graduate how long is the process.
Law & Ethics - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't know the process specifically in Massachusetts, but it can, in many places, be difficult and expensive, often requiring you to take out an ad in a newspaper with some minimal circulation to advertise it so you can't use that to hide from creditors, for example. Call the County Clerk in your County. They should be able to tell you the appropriate procedure and the requirements.
2 :
In MA you're going to have to get a criminal records check and publish a notice in the newspaper. After the publication information is returned to the court, it can take 3-4 weeks to receive your name change certificate from the court in the mail. So it looks like it's going to take at least 5-6 weeks.